Saturday, May 22, 2010

A New Post!

Hi, Smart Girl here. First, before I get started with this post, I would like to thank all of you for giving great suggestions, I'll be using them for quite a while. Now, out of all of your comments, the next thing I'm going to review is ..... The Speckled Band by Arthur Conan Doyle. It is the first, and so far only, Sherlock Holmes story I've ever read. Now, on with the show!

First, the synopsis. In this story, there is a woman who asks Sherlock Holmes for help. (What a surprise!) Sherlock Holmes accepts, (Another surprise!) and the woman tells her story. I won't give all the details, but basically her sister died and her dying words were "The speckled band!" (I wonder why the story's called The Speckled Band?) In the end, Sherlock Holmes figures out the mystery. (Amazing!)

Next, my opinion. Before I state my opinion, I want to say that this is my personal opinion, and nobody has to agree with me. I'm going to be straight with you. I HATE this book. When I read it, it gave me nightmares. I woke up in the middle of the night a bunch of times. If you like this book, I don't have a problem with you, but I completely disagree with you. That's pretty much it, I just plain hate it.

Best Read by Ages: Nobody, unless you like scaring yourself silly.
Official Smart Girl Grade: F-
Both of those are my opinion, so you can read it if you want.

Now, before I go, I have two more audio book recommendations for you. First, The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin, or The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. That's all for now, Smart Girl.

3 comments:

  1. Wow harsh criticism for Sir Arthur. I kind of like a scary tale, but I know plenty of people who don't, so I can certainly understand your feelings on this one.

    I'm going to download these two audio books from Audible right now. Can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How-now! No love lost for Sir Arthur, SmartGirl! Like Matthew, I like a scary tale, and read all of the Holmes' books as a kid. I loved them then and think I will re-read them soon. I don't like the latest filmatization, where venerable Sherlock becomes a karate kicking kung fu machine. Granted, I did not see the movie; the preview made me not to...

    Keep it up SmartGirl - it takes all kinds ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you. scary mysteries are lame.

    ReplyDelete